Monday, October 18, 2010

Twitter Discussion

This is my first time using twitter personally to send tweets to others. I have visited the site a few times for other uses such as information updates from major companies. The mass feed of twitter updates seemed very daunting to me. I'm quite used to participating in forums, and Twitter was a different feel. In comparison to using BB Discussion board, I feel more comfortable writing extended responses with more thought and detail. Twitter certainly makes sending some important messages clearly challenging. In addition, the mass of short messages can be quite uninformative at times but at times 140 characters is capable of putting the message through. The discussion board is probably easier to revisit in the future due to the organized structure but to engage in closer to real time, twitter certainly has the leg up compared to the forums or the discussion board. In terms of real-time, an in-class discussion is the best way to immediately and direct communicate with one another. The drawback is if everyone is trying to speak at once. The result would be a incomprehensible mess. The same situation would apply to all other mediums including Twitter and possibly even the discussion board. The in-class discussion can be moderated and therefore be the most effective way to communicate among a group. Twitter is definitely an interesting new experience, which I hope to make better use out of over time but I must avoid engrossing myself with excessive status updates.

No comments:

Post a Comment