Sunday, October 31, 2010

The Social Network: Spoiler Warning

I wasn't thrilled to see this film about how Facebook started when I heard this movie was released, however I was somewhat interested in how engaging the director could make a movie about the history Facebook and it's key players including Mark Zuckerberg. The opening cut-scene between the main character and a girl surprised me. The actor for Mark Zuckerberg, Jesse Eisenberg did such an amazing job of portraying the director's vision of Zuckerberg being an 'ass'. I thought that the movie would not be able to keep me engaged from start to finish but the director was able to make the movie as concise as possible. The movie flowed quite well from one scene to another. There was minimal downtime from unnecessary scenes. The attention of the movie consistently stayed on track around how Facebook came to be and the stirring controversy between Mark Zuckerberg and the co-founder Eduardo Saverin, Napster cofounder founder Sean Parker, and the Winklevoss twins. Virtually all the characters in the movie were portrayed to have a unique personality, which helped keep the movie refreshing. I am turned off by the excessive overplay of college student stereotypes throughout the movie, that consists of students being drunk, stoned, and insane. I have no doubt that this film was created using the most interesting perspectives of the real life situation, but it makes me wonder how accurate everything is portrayed in the movie. When I reached the ending of the movie, I was surprised that the programmer of the Harvard Connection, working with the Winklevoss twins wasn't mentioned during the legal proceedings nor was there any mention what he got out of the lawsuit. Regardless of a few pet peeves, I found the movie rather enjoyable and an interesting watch. I would recommend this movie to others if they have any remote interest about The Social Network because the actors were great and the story was well written.

No comments:

Post a Comment